Saturday, January 21, 2012

Be yourself?

Is anyone truly happy with themselves? I'm not sure it's possible. You will always have flaws and there are people who say they realize their flaws and are okay with them, but are they really?

You see quotes from people all the time about "Be yourself." but what if you are not a good person? Should Ted Bundy have been himself? He was a cold-blooded killer and even said in prison he knew he was wrong but that's just who he was and he couldn't stop. Should John Jameske have been himself? He kidnapped, raped, and tortured multiple young women and also admitted to knowing it was wrong. He even prefaced each attack with a Bible study trying to justify his acts. He later stated that he realized it was wrong and even felt guilty at times but it was just who he was and he couldn't stop. Should I be who I am? I've never raped, tortured, or murdered someone but I have inflicted pain on others. I am a bad person. What do you say to the people in the world who really are bad people? The one's who are not fixable? Ted Bundy would have killed those women no matter what they did to him, John Jameske would have tortured and raped those women no matter what, Jack the Ripper would have killed no matter what, so what for them? What lies ahead for serial killers, pedophiles, rapists? They can't be rehabilitated, they can't be set free, so what? Do we just leave them in mental wards and prisons where they suffer more mental damage than they already have? To this I don't have an answer, just an opinion. I don't believe in the death penalty but I do believe in love, compassion, and forgiveness. I know what you're thinking "It wasn't your sister or mom who was kidnapped, raped, tortured, and murdered." and you're right, but I believe you should do unto others as you would have them do unto you and I also believe that if someone does something mean to you, you should not do something mean back. I think we should leave them in prison for life, but monitor our prisons closer to rid the violence, rape, and torture that goes on in them. I also think the prisons now are too lush and shouldn't have things like big flat screen tv's and places they can roam around to all the time, it shouldn't be a fun place to be, but it shouldn't be hell on earth either. Just my thoughts.
*Jane

No comments:

Post a Comment